Here’s some guidance to help you decide which level of chartered membership to apply for. If you’re unsure about your eligibility, why not send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
and we’ll help you make the right decision. Alternatively you can call us on +44 (0)20 8612 6208
to discuss your options.
Chartered Member (Chartered MCIPD)
To be eligible for an upgrade to Chartered Member you must currently be an Associate member who has completed a CIPD Level 7 Advanced Diploma or has previously held Graduate membership. In addition you’ll also need to show that you are operating at the right level, to help you decide, here’s some guidance:
- Do you have consistent evidence of managing, developing and implementing HR or L&D projects and programmes?
- Can you evidence the impact of your HR or L&D work on the business, using metrics, business outputs and feedback?
- Do you work to timescales of around 12-18 months (for example planning HR business activity over a financial year or managing long projects)?
- Do you have sustained evidence of aligning HR or L&D work to meet business needs?
- Can you demonstrate your commercial understanding of your organisation(s) with evidence of developing or working on HR business cases?
Chartered Fellow (Chartered FCIPD)
To be eligible for an upgrade to Chartered Fellow you must currently be a Chartered Member (Chartered MCIPD) or an Associate member who has completed a CIPD Level 7 Advanced Diploma. Previous Graduate members of the CIPD can also apply. In addition you’ll also need to show that you are operating at the right level, to help you decide, here’s some guidance:
- Do you have evidence of developing, delivering and implementing wide-reaching and long-term HR or L&D strategy?
- Can you evidence the impact of this strategy through evaluation of business outputs such as business metrics, financial or people measures?
- Can you demonstrate how you have integrated HR or L&D strategy with the business vision, strategy and objectives?
- Do you work to timescales of three years or longer (e.g. developing, delivering and evaluating an HR strategy over a period of time)?
- Are you commercially savvy with evidence of developing compelling HR or L&D business cases at a senior level?
If you’re a Student member your membership will automatically be upgraded to Associate member as soon as you successfully completed your CIPD-approved qualification. Once you’ve achieved Associate membership you can apply to upgrade to Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow, providing you hold a CIPD Level 7 Advanced Diploma and have the relevant experience.
If you’re interested in upgrading your membership but don’t meet the criteria, call us on +44 (0)20 8612 6208
or email us
and we’d be happy to discuss your options.